|If the car is insured abroad ... |
Following formalities are to be carried out to enable the car to be registrated in Belgium:
• The car has to be taken to the Belgian Customs at the following address: T.I.R., Rue de l Entrepôt 11, 1020 Brussels.
Documents to be shown include: purchase invoice and foreign certificate of registration.
• After these formalities have been carried out, Ethias can draw up an insurance policy.
A Belgian number plate can only be requested when the applicant himself/herself is registered as living in Belgium.
While awaiting permanent registration, a "transit" number plate (temporary or international) can be requested. The insurance company will then stamp the application form for the number plate as proof of insurance cover.
The car insurance premium is calculated according to the following elements:
• age, gender and place of residence of the applicant
• car type, capacity (kW) and catalogue price including accessories
• claims history (no-claims bonus)
Car insurance in Belgium is still subject to a "no-claims bonus". This means that the premium level depends on the number of years of claim-free driving.
In other countries more or less the same criteria apply, but these are formulated in different ways. It is important for an applicant who requests a car insurance in Belgium for the first time to present a certificate drawn up by the previous foreign insurance company indicating the number of years of claim-free driving.
Ethias offers many extras for which other companies often ask additional premiums:
• If a car accident takes place in Belgium, the car is towed away free of charge and its passengers are taken back home. Our Claim Call Centre can be reached 24 hours per day.
• A comprehensive insurance policy (omnium arrangement) entitles the policyholder to a courtesy car. Furthermore, no excess applies if the car is repaired at one of our 2200 registered garages.
To find the registered garage nearest you, consult our list of registered repair facilities.
|Driver insurance, a key optional cover! |
Think about your own safety as well.
With your vehicle insurance, all of your passengers are adequately covered. However, it may well happen that as the driver, you too are injured in a road accident.
With Driver insurance you're fully protected, even if you are the one at fault in an accident. Ethias will pay for all costs associated with your medical care and/or your incapacity to work. The financial consequences of an accident are therefore minimal.
Driver insurance is a key complement to your vehicle insurance and comes at a competitive cost.